- My presentations
Auth with social network:
We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Types of Simple Machines
Published by Rhett Kittredge Modified over 8 years ago
Presentation on theme: "Types of Simple Machines"— Presentation transcript:
Chapter: Work and Machines
5.3 Simple Machines.
Chapter 14: Machines.
Chapter 5 Lesson 3.
What are the six types of simple machines?
Work, Power, and Machines
Chapter 5 Work and Machines
Simple Machines Outline Notes
Work and Machines.
Simple machines and mechanisms Lesson 5.0 and 5.1 Pages
Work & Machines. Topics Work and Power –Definition, Calculation, and Measurement Using Machines –Nature of Machines –Mechanical Advantage –Efficiency.
Simple Machines The six types of simple machines are:
Work and Machines Chapter 5 Sections 1-3.
-a machine that does work with one movement
Lesson 2: Simple Machines
How Tools Work. The Six Simple Machines Lever Inclined Plane Wedge Screw Pulley Wheel and Axle.
Simple Machines Device that makes doing work easier is a machine Machines increase applied force and/or change direction of applied force to make work.
Chapter 14 Section 3.
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Section 2 What Is a Machine?
Machines: Making Work Easier by reducing the force used, But the distance to do the work increases and the amount of work is the same
- What Is Mechanical Advantage ? A machine’s mechanical advantage is the number of times the machine multiplies force.
- Calculating Mechanical Advantage You can find mechanical advantage by using the following equation:
- Input force-how much you put in divided by the Output force- What you get out.
- You will always lose some output force because of friction . Friction slows things down
Efficiency=output work/input work
Same as mechanical advantage
Input and Output Work
- The amount of input work done by the gardener equals the amount of output work done by the shovel.
- How Machines Do Work
- The input force and output force for three different ramps are shown in the graph.
- Input force
- Reading Graphs:
- What variable is plotted on the horizontal axis?
- Interpreting Data:
- If an 80-N input force is exerted on Ramp 2, what is the output force?
Mechanical Advantage Practice
- 1. Calculate the mechanical advantage of a hammer if the input force is 125 N and the output force is 2,000N
- 2. Find the efficiency of a machine that does 800 J of work if the input work is 24,000 J.
- 3. Find the force needed to lift a 2,000 N weight using a machine with a mechanical advantage of 15
- A lever is a ridged bar that is free to pivot, or rotate, on a fixed point.
- Simple Machines
Simple Machines in the Body
- Most of the machines in your body are levers that consist of bones and muscles.
- Levers are classified according to the location of the fulcrum relative to the input and output forces.
Calculate MA of Levers
- Input length divided by the output length
- To increase MA lengthen the input arm or move the fulcrum towards the object being moved
- M.A. =Input/output
Calculate the M.A. in your notes
- An inclined plane is a flat, sloped surface.
Section 3 Types of Machines
- An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a straight, slanted surface.
- Mechanical Advantage of an Inclined Plane The mechanical advantage ( MA ) of an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the length of the inclined plane by the height to which the load is lifted.
Inclined Planes MA
- Length of the slope divided by the height of the plane
- To increase M.A., lengthen the slope of the plane
Calculate the following in your notes
- A pulley is a simple machine made of a grooved wheel with a rope or cable wrapped around it.
You Increase M.A. by Increasing pulleys with rope segments
A fixed pulley has a fixed axle and is used to redirect the force in a rope
A fixed pulley has a mechanical advantage of 1.
movable pulley has a free axle, and is used to transform forces –
A movable pulley has a mechanical advantage of 2.
- The mechanical advantage can be increased by using a block and tackle, where there are several pulleys on each axle. Plutarch reported that Archimedes moved an entire warship, laden with men, using compound pulleys and his own strength.
- A wedge is a device that is thick at one end and tapers to a thin edge at the other end.
- A screw can be thought of as an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder.
Wheel and Axle
- A wheel and axle is a simple machine made of two circular or cylindrical objects fastened together that rotate about a common axis.
- You can find the ideal mechanical advantage of a wheel and axle by dividing the radius of the wheel by the radius of the axle.
- Levers 3 types
- Incline Planes
- Wheel and axle
- Do we know what Acceleration and friction means?
Simple Machines - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Simple machines device that makes doing work easier is a machine machines increase applied force and/or change direction of applied force to make work easier effort ... – powerpoint ppt presentation.
- Device that makes doing work easier is a machine
- Machines increase applied force and/or change direction of applied force to make work easier
- Force applied to machine is effort force
- Resistance force force applied by machine to overcome resistance
- Amount of energy the machine transfers to the object cannot be greater than the amount of energy transferred to the machine
- An ideal machine with no friction would have the same input work and output work
- Some energy transferred is changed to heat due to friction
- The number of times a machine multiplies the effort force.
- Measure of how much of the work put into a machine is changed into useful output work by the machine.
- Bar that is free to pivot about a fixed point called the fulcrum
- MA of lever
- depends on the
- placement of
- the fulcrum
- Grooved wheel with a rope or cable running along a groove
- Machine with two wheels of different sizes rotating together
- Sloping surface that reduces the amount of force required to do work
- Inclined plane with one or two sloping sides
- Inclined plane wrapped in a spiral around a cylindrical post
- Uses a combination of two or more simple machines
PowerShow.com is a leading presentation sharing website. It has millions of presentations already uploaded and available with 1,000s more being uploaded by its users every day. Whatever your area of interest, here you’ll be able to find and view presentations you’ll love and possibly download. And, best of all, it is completely free and easy to use.
You might even have a presentation you’d like to share with others. If so, just upload it to PowerShow.com. We’ll convert it to an HTML5 slideshow that includes all the media types you’ve already added: audio, video, music, pictures, animations and transition effects. Then you can share it with your target audience as well as PowerShow.com’s millions of monthly visitors. And, again, it’s all free.
About the Developers
PowerShow.com is brought to you by CrystalGraphics , the award-winning developer and market-leading publisher of rich-media enhancement products for presentations. Our product offerings include millions of PowerPoint templates, diagrams, animated 3D characters and more.